We were appointed by flatfair in summer 2019 just as the digital deposit protection provider raised £11m in funding through Index Ventures, Revolt and other investors.
Blackstock’s initial brief was to help raise flatfair’s profile with tech and property media, while developing a longer-term brand and communications strategy focused upon aligning customer and stakeholder relations with the company’s sales goals. The firm’s media reputation was move considerably by a forward-thinking approach to content and market analysis that ensured flatfair quickly gained credibility through consistent high level exposure in key newspapers and tech websites.
As a fast-growing business with multiple functions, we facilitated several sessions early on with key stakeholders to develop their brand messaging, values, proposition and communications strategy, before producing an in-depth strategic document closely aligned to their commercial aims.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, our support shifted from strategic communications advice to management consultancy and product development.
In terms of PR, we crafted stories for the consumer-facing press which emphasised flatfair’s use of smart tech to drive its offering to landlords and agents. We secured significant coverage for the company in the national, finance and tech press. Flatfair is now regarded as a market leader in offering data-driven deposit alternatives.
In terms of policy, we organised meetings for flatfair with relevant MPs and MHCLG to discuss how technology can be harnessed to make renting fairer. The outcome was MHCLG has recommended Resolve, the rent arrears platform that we helped flatfair devise and promote, as part of its Covid-19 advice for landlords and tenants.
- Widespread coverage achieved proactively across broadcast, national, property and tech press including
- An audience reach of at least 2,372,452,500
- Added value strategic advice for business restructure and relaunch of new platforms, and over 20 new business introductions for BD purposes
- Made considerable number of business development introductions to numerous institutional investors
- Brokered meetings with central Government to discuss pollicy
Franz Doerr, CEO of flatfair, said:
“Blackstock has provided a broad range of strategic support to help us on our growth journey – from helping blow the lights out with consistent national media coverage in both property and tech press to new business introductions and consistent counsel on how to develop our products for the market.
“The multi-talented team is highly responsive and their diligence, passion and responsiveness has consistently impressed us. The results are also clear: highly impactful press coverage; high quality content and analysis; highly valuable advice and consistent support from the firm’s directors. The team has a rare ability to carve through to the detail and be able to sit between the worlds of tech and real estate with an equally broad understanding of both.”
- The Sun: Locked out: The areas where first-time buyers won’t be able to use Help to Buy loan on family-sized new-build homes
- This is Money: Deposit alternatives: The companies claiming to save young renters from huge upfront costs – are they too good to be true?
- LBC News: flatfair’s Franz Doerr speaks to LBC News on evictions ban extension
- Bloomberg Radio: flatfair CEO: UK rental arrears to surge at end of 2020
- The Daily Telegraph: The next big threat facing buy-to-let landlords
Listen to flatfair on Bloomberg radio.